Discussion: View Thread

VIDEO: Organizational foresight from the lens of Eastern Asian Philosophies, APFN Talk 2022

• 1.  VIDEO: Organizational foresight from the lens of Eastern Asian Philosophies, APFN Talk 2022

Posted 10-31-2022 06:17
    Dear Colleagues and Friends,
    I'd like to call your attention to a talk I've recently given at the Asia Pacific Futures Network Conference 2022. The talk is about organizational foresight through the lens of Eastern Asian philosophies, and it is accessible here:

Eastern Asian Wisdom & Foresight: A Talk Through Metaphors (Alex Fergnani Talk, APFN 2022)
    YouTube remove preview
    Eastern Asian Wisdom & Foresight: A Talk Through Metaphors (Alex Fergnani Talk, APFN 2022)
    Alex Fergnani's talk at the Asia Pacific Futures Network Conference 2022: Remedies for the Future. Talk title: Eastern Asian Wisdom & Foresight: A Talk Through Metaphors. MENTIONED REFERENCES: Chermack, T. J. (2017). Foundations of Scenario Planning: The Story of Pierre Wack. Routledge.
    View this on YouTube >

I'm particularly fond of the research project presented therein because it forced me to be a very different kind of scholar. Indeed, it forced me to abandon my analytical mind to describe and explain what there is, and to look at my phenomenon of study, i.e., corporate/organizational foresight, from a intersubjective normative viewpoint. In other words, it forced me to look at how things should be perceived.
    This made me think more deeply about the purpose of organizational scholarship. Should we only explain organizational phenomena to advise organizational stakeholders on how to act, or should we also prescribe how to feel?
    I don't have an answer to this question, but I do hope that viewing the talk above will sparkle some thoughts for you as it did for me preparing it!

------------------------------
    Alex Fergnani
    NUS Business School
    Singapore
    ------------------------------